That means a couple of things! I have burrowed down into hibernation mode and will spend these cold evenings filling you in on whats up in my fitness world AND its time for soup!!
When Mother Nature bears down on us with her blustery moodiness that is when it becomes prime time for soup making! Homemade soups have the amazing following qualities:
1. No matter what time of day, a bowl of hot soup will always kick the chill.
2. Making soup is the easiest form of cooking. Cut veggies and proteins, mix into pot with other ingredients, and simmer!
3. Soup is the easiest way to consume your daily recommended veggies. Especially for none veggie lovers!
3. Soup is best the next day and even better the day after that = LOTS of leftovers!
4. Soup can be a well balanced, complete macro nutrient meal in a bowl = Only one dish to clean!
Shall I go on? If you are new to soups start with this one! You literally dump ingredients in a pot and simmer!
Apple Butternut Squash Soup
- 2 packages of PRE CUT butternut squash ( This is the secret to simple)
- 3 carrots
- 4 celery stalks
- 2 apples
- 1 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 4C container of low sodium veggie broth
- 2C water
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1Ts of cumin
- 1TB honey
- Red pepper flakes if you like a hit of spice
- Cut all ingredients in to chunky pieces.
- Place ingredients in large pot and cover with veggie broth and water.
- Bring to boil for 10min and then simmer on medium -low for 30min or until all the ingredients are soft.
- Add in cumin, honey, red pepper
- Use an immersion blender to blend to a creamy smooth consistency.